top of page

Thinking about Hiring a Tax Pro?

Updated: Sep 15, 2022

It's important to have all your documents ready before hiring a professional. It will save you time and money and hassle. Here's a list to help you out!


Keep in mind that not everything will apply to you. So don't worry if you've never heard of a document!

  • Social Security numbers of everyone listed on the tax return.

  • Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit or information to make a tax payment.

  • Forms W-2 from employer(s).

  • Forms 1099 from banks, issuing agencies and other payers including unemployment compensation, dividends, distributions from a pension, annuity or retirement plan.

  • Form 1099-K, 1099-MISC, W-2 or other income statement for workers in the gig economy.

  • Form 1099-INT for interest received.

  • Other income documents and records of virtual currency transactions.

  • Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement.

  • Letter 6419, 2021 Total Advance Child Tax Credit Payments, to reconcile advance child tax credit payments.

  • Letter 6475, Your 2021 Economic Impact Payment, to determine eligibility to claim the recovery rebate credit.

  • Information to support claiming other credits or deductions, such as receipts for child or dependent care, college expenses or donations.

Where to get the record for-

1) economic impact payment

2) advanced child tax credit

You can log into your IRS online account and get information via the Tax Records Tab.

For taxpayers who are married filing jointly, each spouse will need to have their own Economic Impact Payment and advance child tax credit information.

*the economic impact payment and advance child tax credit refer to stimulus payments made during the pandemic.

Missing Documents-

Taxpayers who didn’t receive a W-2 or Form 1099 should contact the employer, payer or issuing agency and request the missing documents. This also applies for those who received an incorrect W-2 or Form 1099.

If you still haven't received the missing or corrected form by the end of February, you may call the IRS at 800-829-1040 for assistance (see Telephone and Local Assistance for hours of operation). When you call, please have the following information available:

  • Your name, address (including ZIP code), phone number, taxpayer identification number, and dates of employment,

  • Your employer/payer's name, address (including ZIP code), and phone number,

  • If known, your employer/payer's identification number.

If you didn't receive the missing or corrected form in time to file your tax return, you can estimate the wages or payments made to you, as well as any taxes withheld. You can use Form 4852 to report this information on your federal tax return.

Find an authorized e-file provider-

This is a nationwide listing is of all businesses that have been accepted to participate in the IRS e-file program. These businesses are authorized IRS e-file providers. They are qualified to prepare, transmit and process e-filed returns.

At R & I Tax and Bookkeeping Service, INC. we are also qualified to take care of your personal and/or business taxes.

All of this information was provided by the IRS. This blog post is not a substitute for legal advice and is not liable for any misinformation that may have been provided by the IRS.


bottom of page